Monday, May 22, 2006

Resizing Partitions

Yesterday I reorganised my crazy arrangement of hard drive partitions (three 10Gb Windows partitions, and a big Linux partition) into one huuge Windows partition and a spare 10Gb partition for Linux installs or whatever.

Given that my Windows partitions were quite full, I knew I needed to shuffle stuff around. I expected it would take at least the whole weekend, and I'd probably lose some data doing it.

But! Thanks to a brilliant LiveCD release of GParted, I was able to do it in an hour or two (and was really only at the keyboard for 10 or 15 minutes in total).

I used Nero Express to burn the ISO to a CD, but Lifehacker pointed to a freeware ISO recorder if you can't find the cd burning program that originally came with your drive.

GParted booted in about 30 seconds, then I had to select my keyboard, preferred XWindows, video driver, preferred resolution, and some other barely-relevant stuff, but basically it just meant hitting enter five or six times to accept the defaults. Ideally these settings would all be listed on a single "Accept these defaults?" screen, so the 97% of people who want the defaults can get by hitting Enter just once, but , y'know -- it's Linux. Config before usability :)

Aside from that little quibble it was freakin' great. Next time you're re-organising your hard drive, get the latest GParted live CD.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home