Thursday, April 27, 2006

English (UK) means no Google Talk for you!

Like everyone, I use Gmail and Google Talk, and was looking forward to the latter being intergrated into the former.

Soon after hearing that it was happening, people I know started seeing GTalk come up in their Gmail window. After a couple of days I get this question when I log on to Gmail: "Do you want to see chat histories in your Gmail window?" or something. Hell yeah, I answer.. but still no chat stuff in my Gmail.

I wait and wait. Weeks later, I'm still not seeing any GTalk integration -- there is a page somewhere on Google's site saying that they're rolling out the update gradually. Hmm.

More weeks pass. Everyone I know has GTalk on their Gmail page except me, and my brother. Eventually, I really need to see history for a particular chat. I write to Google's help address.

After a bit to-and-fro-ing with boilerplate questions ("When does the problem occur?" Err, when ever I desire to see a chat history. "What firewalls are you running?" Err.. doesn't matter?) I get this:

1. Are you logging in from a supported browser? [snip]

2. Did you click 'standard without chat' at the bottom of your Gmail
account? If so.. [snip]

3. Did you select an interface language other than 'English (US)'? [snip]
Amazingly, it was the third thing that fixed it for me. I had my language set to English (UK), because americans for some reason can't spell colour properly.

I have to say that I'm somewhat surprised that English (UK) isn't supported by the chat-integrated version of Gmail. But there it is.. hope this helps someone else wondering when they're gonna get Google Talk in their Gmail window.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home