Tuesday, May 30, 2006

iTunes filled up my hard drive ..and not with music

Sorry about the two software posts in a row..

I'm doing a bit of housekeeping on my hard drive in preparation for a long-overdue backup, and I noticed that the iTunes folder on my C:\ drive was holding many gigabytes of data.

I've set iTunes to store music on my D:\ drive, but I assumed that at some point in the past iTunes had lost track of that setting and started putting stuff back in the default folder.

It was surprising to discover that the multi-gigabyte folder was holding about 3,400 files called "Temp File 1", "Temp File 2" .. "Temp File 3483". Well, my theory is if a file has "temp" in its name, it's fair game -- so my computer is currently deleting 3.72Gb of temp files.

While it was happening I found this page:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93043
..which says it's okay to delete them.

It's gonna be nice to have that space back. Check your iTunes folder for temp files!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I can delete the space hogs, but how does one stop them from occurring. Did you notice that they are being saved every couple of minutes? I keep iTunes loaded all day, the files multiply like rabbits. Once a week I have to delete over 4,000 of temp files. Sigh

20 May, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem, started after the last iTunes update for me. iTunes creates a new temp-file everytime it updates the Music Library (eg every time a song ends).
It should be deleting the temp-file when the update is complete, but somehow now it doesn't anymore.
Fills up my small system disc in no time =S
I've also set the Library to be saved on another disk than C: but these temp-files end up on C: anyways.
Has anyone found a solution to this?

// Joihoin

11 November, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home